A rich, gratifying all day tea bursting with spicy flavours. Our Virunga Chai is an exotic spicy black tea, carefully crafted by the fifth generation of Birchall Graham’s family. Our pursuit of quality ensures we have expertly matched our exceptional African black tea, grown close to Virunga National Park with the subtle sweet spices of cinnamon and cardamom and the warming flavours of ginger and red rooibos from South Africa. The unique result is a vibrant and uplifting blend that will soothe and satisfy throughout the day. We look forward to you enjoying it as much as we do.
Birchall ChaiTM is fully Rainforest Alliance Certified and produced in our 100% solar powered factory in Wiltshire using biodegradable tea bags. We will donate 5p from the proceeds of each pack to help save Virunga, Africa’s oldest national park and protect its mountain gorillas and other wildlife.
Why East Africa Produces The Best Black Teas
We consider our signature black teas to be truly special and unique in the tea world and we’d like to tell you why. Our black teas are all sourced exclusively from the finest tea estates across East Africa, from Rwanda through to the Great Rift Valley in Kenya; this is generally considered to be where the very best teas are to be found. This equatorial region’s altitude, high rainfall and rich volcanic soil provide the ideal conditions that are integral to growing tea of unparalleled flavour and taste.
The geography and climate of the area where this tea is grown makes it uniquely placed to produce black tea of unparalleled flavour and taste. This equatorial region’s altitude of 1460-4500 metres above sea level, high rainfall and volcanoes along the Congo-Nile Crest provide the ideal conditions and rich soil that are integral to growing outstanding tea.
The tea bushes grow high above sea level, at a slower rate, where the temperature is relatively low, developing greater flavour before they are individually hand picked. The estate provides valuable jobs for people in the area and also runs a co-operative for over 2600 farmers.
This blend includes:
- Black Tea
- Orange Peel
- Star Anise
Weight – 52.5g.
- Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
- Recommended Brew Temperature: 100°
- Serving Advice: Can be taken with or without hot milk
- Storage Advice: Store in a cool, dry place away from strong aromas
- For best results use BRITA filtered water
Let’s do our bit for the Planet
We need you to help us make sure our packaging ends up where it needs to be. Once you have finished with this product, please separate as follows:-
• BOX | Made from responsibly sourced, FSC-certified board | Please recycle this carton
• INNER BAG | Made from renewable cellulose, certified industrial and home compostable | Please dispose of in your food waste bin*
• PLANT-BASED PRISM™ TEA BAGS | Made from biodegradable plant starch, industrially compostable | Please dispose of in your food waste bin*
* Check local collection